Of all the pests that might find their way into your home, there’s perhaps none more downright annoying than bed bugs. Not only do bed bugs make your living space marginally more uncomfortable once they’ve made their home there, they’re also tremendously hard to get rid of once they’re there.
Bed bug control in Bartlesville, OK is a three step process that must be undertaken with swiftness, thoroughness and care:
- Identify a bed bug problem.
- Eliminate the bed bugs in your home.
- Protect your home from further infestations.
While it might be hard to deal with bed bugs in their entirety, it’s not impossible. Take a look at a few tips you can rely on at each stage of the process.
Identifying the problem
Bed bugs are super-small and very hard to spot outright. Moreover, they’re nocturnal, which means you’re likely not going to see them, since they’ll be feasting while you’re sleeping! As a result, you’re going to be more apt to find signs of an infestation, rather than the bed bugs themselves:
- Small black spots that are comparable to the size of a pinhead. These are bed bug droppings!
- Small patches of redness, itching or swelling on your body. These indicate bed bug bites.
- Small spots of blood on your sheets or clothing, which signals feasting bed bugs.
Keep an eye out for these things when you’re making the bed or washing your sheets. Occasionally, you might also find a dead bed bug in your sheets or on the floor—if you see one, it’s guaranteed that there are even more that are hiding!
Eliminating bed bugs
Once you have bed bugs, getting rid of them is going to be a trial. Bed bug control in Bartlesville, OK isn’t going to be as easy as fumigating a room or washing your sheets—these buggers are resilient! The best thing to do is hire a professional. In addition to treatment services, they can also give you tips on how to eradicate bed bugs, which might include:
Steam cleaning your mattress and dry cleaning your bed sheets. High heat cleanings will eradicate any lingering bed bug eggs.
Have your carpets professionally steamed. Again, this is going to eradicate any lingering bed bugs or eggs.
Take your pets to the vet to have them combed for bed bugs.
Using chemical solutions and a variety of techniques, a professional will be able to hunt down nesting bed bugs and completely remove them from your living space.
Preventing future infestations
The final stage of bed bug control in Bartlesville, OK is to prevent any bed bugs from setting up shop in your home again after you’ve gone through the trouble of getting rid of them! Take a look at some of the things a professional may recommend you do to prevent future issues:
- Discard any old materials that were infested. This may be the ideal time for you to get a new mattress!
- Seal up any cracks or crevices that may play host to colonizing bed bugs, or any other pests for that matter.
- Avoid buying secondhand furniture, which can come bearing bed bugs.
- Examine beds and furniture when you’re travelling, to make sure you’re not picking up bed bugs and bringing them home.
Staying one step ahead of bed bugs is the best way to deal with them. That, and having a seasoned professional like D & Q Pest Control, Inc. on your side!