While exterminators can certainly help you to eliminate pests within your home, there are a variety of steps you can take charge of yourself to better manage the threat that pests pose to your home. For example, all pests (insect and animal alike) are similar in that they are drawn to food, water and shelter. By removing one or more of these things they’re looking for, you can reduce the chances of pests getting into your home.
Here are some tips for more effective pest control in Bartlesville, OK:
- Clean up food: Always make sure you clean up crumbs and any food debris from your food preparation and dining areas as soon as possible. Rinse and clean all dishes, pots and pans every day, and make sure food is stored properly in containers in cabinets and the refrigerator. This will help keep away pests that are drawn by the scent of your food.
- Take out the trash: Make sure you take out your garbage regularly, so it does not build up and create a smell in your home that attracts pests. Outside, make sure all your garbage containers are secured and latched, and that they are kept at least a few feet away from your home if possible.
- Address standing water: Do not allow standing water to collect near your home’s foundation or crawlspaces. Standing water attracts bugs and other pests, and can also seep through the ground next to your home and cause structural damage, so it’s best to remove this water as soon as it begins gathering.
- Take care with firewood storage: Never stack or store firewood against your foundation. Insects often make their home in firewood stacks, particularly potentially damaging insects like termites.
- Store pet food appropriately: It’s not just human food that attracts pests! Mice and insects will be drawn to the presence of cat or dog food as well. Extra food should always be stored in a hard plastic or metal tamper-proof container. This is especially important if you have “outdoor” pets, or if you have feeders for wild animals. If you notice pests starting to move in to these feeders, remove them for a few weeks so the pests stop coming by.
- Patch up or address holes: If you have any holes in your foundation or you notice there are spots where pests could potentially get into ventilation in your home, make sure you patch up those holes or address the vulnerabilities as soon as you can. You do not want to provide these pests with easy access to places where they can live and, ultimately, breed and cause even more headaches for you down the road.
These are just a few tips that can help you engage in more effective pest control in Bartlesville, OK. For more tips and information, reach out to our team today at D & Q Pest Control, Inc. We are happy to answer any questions you have for us about our services.