Are fire ants in Oklahoma? Yes! Some areas report that they have active infestations that have, in recent years, resulted in a hay quarantine. So, if you’re worried about fire ants and live in Oklahoma, keep reading for more details.
Where Do Fire Ants Live in Oklahoma?
Fire ants love damp, warm areas and can be found in much of the Southern part of the US. They build their homes in soil mounds, but they don’t have an opening on top like most ant mounds. Instead, the fire ants use underground tunnels to go in and out of their home, making it tricky to get rid of an infestation.
How To Avoid Attracting Fire Ants in Your Living Space
Prevention is the best weapon anyone can have in keeping a living space free from fire ants. Here are some environments fire ants are drawn to:
- Moisture: Fire ants will nest anywhere with moisture. This can include underneath a leaky hose next to the house, inside walls where a plumbing leak hasn’t been repaired, and anywhere else with high moisture levels.
- Inadequate Drainage: Keep your space clean and tidy. Do not allow food or spills to sit for any amount of time. Make sure your food is sealed tightly.
- Construction: If you’re having any remodeling or new construction, have a conversation with the foreman about the potential for fire ants. Ask them how they plan to protect the site from fire ants.
- Pet Food: Make sure your pet finishes their meal or seal the leftovers in a reasonable time.
- Plants and Mulch: Mulch retains the moisture that fire ants love. Moving or planting new flowers or plants can hide a fire ant infestation. Check your mulch and soil before you move anything inside or up close to your home.
- Crevices: Make sure your windows and doors don’t have gaps around them. You should also check for openings around electrical lines and air conditioning units. You must seal cracks to keep fire ants out.
Being proactive and mindful in watching for and avoiding fire ant attractors is the best way to prevent fire ants in your home and on your property. Many of these tasks are quick and easy. Add these small tasks to your routine and know that you’re doing everything possible to help with prevention.
When To Treat for Fire Ants
The second you see a fire ant in or close to your home is when you need to treat your space for fire ants. Better yet, you can stay a step ahead of fire ants and have an exterminator treat your home and yard to keep them out.
Your exterminator will likely treat your area twice, once or twice per year. They will treat the area with an insecticide and then treat each mound to eliminate all fire ants.
Fire Ant Exterminators in Oklahoma
You want Excellence Pest Control for all of your extermination needs. Located in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, they have a unique understanding of how to get rid of your local pests.
To get your living space free from fire ants or any other pest, call Excellence Pest Control at 918-336-8469 or fill out their contact form online now!