Mosquitoes can put a serious damper on many outdoor activities. Not only do their bites cause discomfort, but they also carry several serious diseases. While mosquitoes are a persistent pest, mosquito termination both inside and outside the home is possible with the right techniques.
Read on to learn how to get rid of mosquitoes efficiently and effectively—for good.
How to get rid of mosquitoes in the house
While mosquitoes are most commonly found outdoors, they can make their way into your home, too, making it feel like there’s no way to escape. If you’ve noticed mosquitoes buzzing around in the home, here are some of the best strategies to take care of the problem:
- Mosquito traps: Mosquito traps are a great way to get rid of mosquitoes in the house. Keep in mind that while you can get mosquito traps online or from big-box stores, they won’t be as effective as the ones that professional pest control services have to offer.
- Essential oils: While not as effective as traditional pesticides, essential oils can help ward off mosquitoes. Mosquitoes don’t like lavender, lemon or eucalyptus, so add a few drops of your chosen essential oil to a spray bottle filled with water. Spray any nonporous surfaces around the house to freshen the air and keep mosquitoes at bay.
How to get rid of mosquitoes in the yard
Mosquitoes can quickly multiply in your backyard, preventing you from enjoying your outdoor space to the fullest. Some strategies to keep mosquitoes from taking over your yard include:
- Chemical repellents: Special chemical repellents applied by your trusted pest control expert are an efficient way to get rid of mosquitoes. Talk to your pest control professional, and choose an option that kills mosquitoes on contact, preventing them from multiplying.
- Mosquito traps: Traps are effective for controlling the mosquito population outside the home, too. Your pest control expert will determine which trap is right for your situation, whether it’s one that traps them with a sticky surface, one that vacuums mosquitoes up or one that electrocutes them with an electric grid.
- Eliminate standing water: Mosquitoes lay eggs in standing water, and it’s also where their larvae hatch. Empty any standing water sources (like those that remain in buckets, gutters, ditches or pet bowls) to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds.
- Treat ponds and pools: For standing water that you don’t want to eliminate (like in ponds or pools), apply larvicide dunk or liquid larvicide. Along with running the filter regularly, you’ll effectively prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs in pools or ponds. You should also make sure to close the pool cover at night as well as during off-season months.
Mosquito termination can seem like a daunting task, especially if you don’t have access to professional-grade products. Reach out to the team at Excellence Pest Control today, and say goodbye to mosquitoes for good. We can prevent mosquitoes from becoming a problem inside your home or in your yard, safely and effectively.