Cockroaches have been on Earth for more than 280 million years, surviving off pretty much anything and everything. But what food do roaches like the most in Bartlesville, OK? Studies show that cockroaches like to eat a balanced diet, but they’re omnivores who can get nourishment from seemingly everything. They’re attracted to sugar, starches and high-protein foods, but they’ll also eat grease, hair and fingernail clippings—yuck!
How long can a cockroach survive without food?
Cockroaches can go for months without eating, which is a big reason for their success as insects. But, just like humans and many other animals, roaches can only live up to a week if they don’t have any water. Since they’re such strong survivors, the only way to eliminate them is by hiring a professional exterminator.
Ways to prevent an infestation
Contrary to what you may have heard, preventing a cockroach infestation isn’t that hard to do. Follow these steps to avoid ever having to deal with an infestation in your home or office:
- Tidy up: The easiest way to prevent an infestation is to keep a clean home. Cockroaches are attracted to dirty places, so wiping down surfaces, vacuuming and cleaning the dishes are all musts. Plus, you’re sure to be happier when your home is cleaner!
- Store all food: Another good way to prevent an infestation in Bartlesville, OK is to put all foods that roaches eat in plastic containers. Roaches can easily get into boxes of food in the pantry, but they have a more difficult time with sealed plastic containers. Be sure to keep all pet food in containers, too—roaches are big fans of dog food.
- Empty the trash: Waiting until trash day to take your kitchen garbage outside isn’t the best idea. Garbage sitting inside might as well be a big buffet for roaches! We recommend taking your trash out to the outdoor cans each evening to deter roaches from trying to get inside. Additionally, make sure all of your outdoor garbage cans are kept as far away as possible from your home.
- Seal entry points: In addition to keeping foods that roaches eat in Bartlesville, OK out of reach, you’ll need to seal up common entry points to your home. Use caulk to fix gaps around utility pipes and cracks in the crawlspace or foundation. We recommend hiring a professional to perform an inspection and identify any weak points.
- Call a pest control service: Last but certainly not least, bring in the pros! A pest control company will design a treatment plan for your property that’ll ward off cockroaches and all sorts of other insects. But if you do suspect an infestation, call an exterminator as soon as possible. Roach infestations only get worse, and they’re basically impossible to handle by yourself.
Call our team today!
Whether you currently have a cockroach infestation or you want to prevent one from happening, hire our pros at Excellence Pest Control. Call us today to learn more about what foods roaches like the most or to schedule pest extermination in Bartlesville, OK.