Termites can cause some significant damage to your home if left unchecked. Drywood termites will bury themselves deep into wooden structures, while subterranean termites will be located underground and a bit more difficult to find. Still, there are always some warning signs of termites you should watch out for.
Here are just a few common red flags to help you spot termites in your Bartlesville, OK home:
- Wings: Termite swarms will usually start when mature termites first leave their nest to go out and create new colonies. When the swarmers first take flight, they leave their wings behind. This means you might find small piles of wings around your home’s foundation, or even inside your home. This is a common sign that you are dealing with a termite infestation.
- Mud tubes: Subterranean termites often create mud tubes that essentially function as bridges between the wood they’re attacking and their colony. These tubes feature small pieces of dirt, wood and other debris, and exist to protect the termites from predators and to create a buildup of moisture. If you notice mud tubes, it’s a clear sign of a termite problem.
- Droppings: One of the most common rules for uncovering any infestation is that if you find droppings, you can be certain there are pests present. Termite droppings are very small and build up in mounds. Termites will leave these droppings behind after they’ve consumed wood.
- Drywall holes: Termites don’t make drywall their primary target, but they will chew small holes through drywall to get to their destination, be it the wood they are attracted to or their colony.
- Hollow-sounding wood: If you believe there’s a possibility a piece of wood has been affected by termite presence, one of the easiest things you can do to confirm your suspicions is simply give the wood a few knocks. If the result is a hollow sound, then there’s a good chance it has been chewed from the inside by termites.
- Obvious wood damage: Wood that is crumbling or otherwise losing its structural integrity, combined with other signs of termite presence, should be indicative of an infestation. In some cases, your floorboards might become overly squeaky or begin to buckle, or you might start to notice odd, maze-like patterns that have formed in your furniture, floorboards or walls.
- Stuck windows and doors: Have you been having a hard time getting your windows or doors to open properly? If they’re made of wood, there’s a chance they’ve been the target of termite attacks.
- Seeing the swarmers: Termite swarmers will generally leave the nest a couple times a year, during the spring and fall. If you actually see the swarmers exiting the nest or attacking your home, then obviously you know you have a problem you will need to address immediately.
These are just a few examples of some of the most common signs of termite infestations. For more information about how to spot termites in Bartlesville, OK or to get help from a pest control service, reach out to Excellence Pest Control today.