You know that fleas enter your home on the backs of your pets, but it’s a common misconception that fleas just stay on your pets and don’t trouble anything else. Sadly, that’s not the case! Once fleas are inside, they tend to stick around, breeding and biting as they go. This post will teach you how to get rid of fleas in Bartlesville, OK.
Steps to get rid of fleas
Do you have fleas living in your home rent free? If so, follow these steps to evict them:
- Call an exterminator: Bringing in a professional is your best bet if you want to get rid of those fleas. Our experts at Excellence Pest Control can quickly and effectively eliminate all of the fleas inside your home. We’ll also treat your yard to help ensure they don’t come back anytime soon.
- Dish soap: Before you call an exterminator, you can try to set a trap for the pests using a mixture of dish soap and warm water. Place bowls of the soap/water mix throughout your home at night. In the morning, you’ll find that each bowl should be filled with the bodies of dead fleas.
- Baking soda: If you have a flea infestation, they most likely live in your carpets and rugs. For this reason, it’s vital that you vacuum your home on a regular basis. Make your carpeting an inhospitable place for fleas by rubbing baking soda into the carpet fibers before you vacuum. After you’re finished, empty the vacuum bag in a trashcan outside (as the contents will be full of fleas, some of which may not be dead yet).
- Salt: You can dehydrate adult fleas by sprinkling salt throughout your home. Lay salt on all your carpeting, let it sit for about two days and then vacuum your house. Again, empty the vacuum contents outside when you’re finished.
- Flea-repelling plants: If you thought a plant couldn’t keep fleas at bay, think again! Penny royals, chrysanthemums, lavender and spearmint have all proven to be ultra-effective at keeping biting fleas away. Plant them outside in your flower beds, and buy some potted plants to place inside for the best results.
Buying some chrysanthemums and lavender plants isn’t the only way to keep fleas out of your home. Follow these steps below and you may never need to hire an exterminator:
- Treat your pets: Flea-control medicine does wonders when it comes to preventing fleas from hopping aboard your pet’s coat and hitching a ride inside. Giving your cats and dogs a flea collar is also a great idea.
- Mow your lawn: Fleas hide out in your yard when they’re not roaming around inside. Make your house less appealing by keeping your grass short and trimming the shrubs around your home.
- Clean your house: A dirty house doesn’t necessarily equate to a flea-infested one, but the two can be related. As mentioned above, make a habit of regularly vacuuming your carpeting and rugs.
If you or your pets have flea bites, or if you’ve spotted any fleas in your home, it’s time to call Excellence Pest Control for flea extermination in Bartlesville, OK! Not only are our products safe for pets and animals—they’re also guaranteed to eliminate fleas from your home. Get in touch today to schedule an appointment!