The mere thought of a termite infestation is enough to make most homeowners shiver. That’s because termites can cause major damage to your home, not to mention the fact that they’re pretty creepy. This post will cover some of the basics regarding termites and termite control in Bartlesville, OK.
Signs of termites
Before we get started, it’s important to know the signs that you have termites in your home. If you notice any of the evidence below, you might already have an infestation on your hands:
- Hollow sounds: When feasting on something made of cellulose (like wood), termites bore into the item and carve out the interior, but leave the exterior intact. As infestations worsen, the wooden item will become hollow, creating an echoing sound when you knock on it.
- Paint problems: Paint can start to bubble and crack for a variety of reasons. One of the worst reasons, though, is a termite infestation. Take notice of any bubbling paint in your home, as this is a sign that termites may be feeding right behind the wall.
- Mud tubes: Termites are like wasps, hornets and a variety of other pests in that they live in mud tubes. If you notice any of these structures in your yard, particularly ones near your home, you should call an exterminator for termite removal.
What should I do about the termites?
Have a termite problem? Don’t worry—it’s not the end of the world. Termite control in Bartlesville, OK isn’t as hard as you might think. The steps below can help get rid of termites once and for all:
- Clean up your yard: Do you have stacks of firewood next to your home or fallen limbs in your yard? If so, that could be why you have termites in the first place. These are quick and easy sources of food for the termites, which makes your property look quite appetizing. Additionally, clean up any piles of mulch that are just sitting around.
- Create a barrier: There are many chemical and non-chemical termite barrier sprays you can either buy or make yourself with household items. Spray the solution around the base of your home, and you should be protected from termites for a while.
- Set a trap: Termites love wet cardboard, so a few empty, wet boxes are the perfect trap for them. Place the wet cardboard in your yard and once it attracts termites, light it on fire.
- Use the sun: Termites tend to hang out in their mud tube homes or behind the walls of your house because they hate sunlight. In fact, the sun’s UV rays will typically kill them. If you have an infested piece of furniture in your home, drag it outside and let the sun work its magic.
- Call a professional: If all else fails, it may be time to bring in an exterminator! You can rest easy knowing that a professional will kill all of the existing termites and take steps to make sure they never come back.
Whether you have a full-blown termite infestation on your hands or you want to avoid the issue altogether, be sure to call Excellence Pest Control. We’re the trusted team when it comes to termite control in Bartlesville, OK.