At Excellence Pest Control, we get calls throughout the year from homeowners dealing with rodent infestations. However, fall and early winter are often our busiest seasons. This is the time of year when rodents really start trying to come inside to set up shop within your home, which is not ideal! Continue reading to learn a few things about fall rodent control in Bartlesville, OK, and how we can help keep your home pest-free this season.
Why do rodents try so hard to get inside?
You know that your home is a much more comfortable place to live than outside. Rodents feel the same way! Here are a few reasons why they like being in your house so much more than out on the streets or in a field:
- Shelter: Being outside in the fall and winter when it starts to sleet and snow isn’t fun for humans, and it’s even worse for rodents! This time of year, they’ll do practically anything to get inside and far away from miserable outdoor conditions.
- Warmth: Going along with the point above, rats and mice don’t want to be outside in the cold weather any more than you do. Now that temperatures are beginning to drop, homeowners are more likely to encounter rodent infestations.
- Food: Finding food outside is a lot easier for rodents in the warmer months. When it gets colder out, and snow begins to fall, rodents have a much easier time finding food in your pantry than they do on the ground outside!
How can I prevent an infestation?
The thing about rodent infestations is that they’re easier to prevent than you might think. Taking a few easy steps can help deter pests from coming inside and making your life miserable:
- Seal your home: In addition to keeping your doors and windows shut, now is the time to seal up any cracks in your walls or foundation that rodents could enter through. You may not be able to seal all of the holes, but eliminating as many entry points as possible is crucial.
- Store your food: As mentioned above, rodents are more likely to come inside to dine during this time of year. Make that a more difficult task for them by storing your food in plastic or glass containers instead of in cardboard packaging or plastic bags, as those are easy for rodents to gnaw through.
- Take out the trash: You probably tend to throw your leftover food scraps in the garbage can after a meal. Assuming that’s the case, make a habit of immediately taking the garbage out. Never underestimate the determination of a rodent to crawl into your trash can to get a meal.
Give Excellence Pest Control a call as soon as you see a rat or mouse in your home, and we’ll send someone out right away for rodent control in Bartlesville, OK. The sooner we’re able to treat your home, the easier it’ll be to get rid of those pests once and for all!